Does your car frame got damaged, or do you just want some modification to it? But don’t know what the best welder for car frames that can save the situation is?
Then you got an ultimate guide on your screen. We know that you want a welder for car frames that is cost-cutting but efficient. It should be portable, light-weight, easy to use, and not stress your pocket. Finding such one is a challenging task.
But no more as we have already done the job for you. We have listed the three best welding machines as well as some buying tips for you. We have also answered the frequently asked questions that will help you through the process.
So, let’s get straight into it!
What Type Of Welding Is Used For Car Frames?
Mainly MIG and TIG are used for the welding process.
TIG is Tungsten Inert Gas welding that uses a tungsten electrode to weld. MIG is Metal Inert Gas welding that uses a metal electrode (usually aluminum wire feeder) to weld.
MIG melts a filler metal to create a weld. While TIG welds two pieces of metal directly. Both processes use shielding gas to work.
Can You Weld Onto A Car’s Frame?
It is not illegal to weld your car’s frame. But, Federal law states that the welding should be according to the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation.
FMSCA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) has given some rules to weld onto a car’s frame that should be followed as stated below:
- Commercial vehicles frames should not be cracked, damaged, or loose.
- All bolts and brackets in a passenger-carrying vehicle frame should be tightly in their place.
- There should be no drilled holes in frame rails if they are not specified by the vehicle manufacturer.
- Frame rails should not be cut or bend without the manufacturer’s specification.
- No other vehicles parts should be welded in the frame rails or the chassis.
These few point summaries are set to prevent any main road safety risk. So, while welding your car frame on your own, do not take any of these lightly at all.
Can I Weld A Car Frame With A 110 Welder?
It is usually not recommended. Car frames are more than 1/8-inch thick metal sheets. But a 110V welder can weld between 25 to 140 amps output, which is enough to weld up to 1/8″ but not for thicker sheets.
A 110V is suitable for thin sheet metal, but welding frames with thicker metals is not recommended.
What Is The Best Welder For Car Frames?
Now you have to know about the types and federal regulations on welding. It is time to discuss the ideal welder for car frames. Here is a list of the 3 best welders that will help you in the welding process.
Here’s The Quick Comparisons Table
|Weldpro 155 AMP INVERTER||Check Price!|
|VIVOHOME MIG Welder 130||Check Price!|
|SUPER DEAL PRO Commercial MIG 130||Check Price!|
1. Weldpro MIG155GSV Inverter MIG Arc Welder
First on our list is MIG155GSV Inverter MIG Arc Welder which is an all-rounder. It is both MIG and a self-shielded flux-cored welder that can survive a short circuit. It is the affordable welder for car frames in its price category.
Let’s have a look at some of its features.
- Dual Voltage Support: MIG155GSV can operate at dual voltages. It can work from 110/115V to 220/230V, making it an efficient welding partner.
- High Welding Current Range: It is also operatable between a wide range of 30 – 155 Amp current. This will give a better current flow range to work without any electrical interference.
- Decent Wire Speed: At proper 220V, it can easily weld a 1/4″ steel. But here’s more, it can weld at the speed of 78″ to 396″ per minute, depending upon your comfort preference.
- Over-heat Protection: MIG155GSV comes with an advanced compact IGBT inverter design. It helps to protect it from overheating and overcurrent issues. It also comes with adjustable heat and wire speed settings.
- Handy And Portable: It is an awesome choice for welding due to its portability and compact design. Also, it is easy to use with 2T and 4T modes. 2T is handy for energy savings.
- Dual Voltage.
- Decent Welds.
- Great Wire Speed.
- Not so efficient.
- Not suitable for TIG welding.
2. VIVOHOME MIG 130 Flux Core Wire Automatic Feed Welder
VIVOHOME MIG 130 Automatic Welding machine is another car frames welder that is famous for its value proposition. It is best for small household welds that don’t require much power. It is also a cheap flux core wire welder, which features:
- Low Input Voltage: VIVOHOME MIG 130 can operate on 110V so that it can do power-efficient welding’s.
- Adjustable Welding Speed: It offers 10 variable speeds of flux-cored wires welding. You can change the wire speed according to your demand.
- Decent Amps Output Range: It gives a wide range of settings for current output. MIG 130 can work within 50-120 A with the frequency of 50-60 Hz. It also gives 4x current flow adjustments.
- Overheating Protection: VIVOHOME 130 has two air vents for smooth airflow to overcome heat dissipation. These air vents maintain the temperature of the machine relatively low.
- Storage Space: One of the fantastic features is that it comes with built-in storage space on top. This storage space is convenient to keep the small tools, nails, and screws in one place.
- Light Weight.
- Cheap Price.
- Free Helmet.
- Better Heat Dissipation.
- Weld may crack by too much pressure.
- Does not have a contact trigger.
3. Super Deal Pro Commercial MIG 130 AC Flux Core Wire Automatic Welder
Super Deal Pro Commercial MIG 130 AC Flux Core Wire Welder is also an inexpensive one in this list with great features at a reasonable price. Its attractive features are listed below.
- Automig Control Panel: It has an easy-to-use control panel that is operatable even with gloves on. It reduces minor errors.
- Cooling Fan Integration: It has a cooling fan so that the temperature could remain within limits. But if things start to heat up, overheat protection lamp LED will warn you about it.
- 10 Levels For Feed Speed Control: It has 10 levels to control feed speed and temperature. This will allow you to work with the desired control over weld per inch.
- Welding Face Mask And Wire brush: It comes with a face mask so that you will have protection for any welding. And the wire brush will remove any debris from the area.
- Compact Design: It is also lightweight as compared to the other machines. And its compact design and portability are great for efficient welding processes.
- Convenient for a Beginner.
- Cheap Welder with Decent Features.
- Variable Feed Speed.
- Light-weight and Portable.
- Cannot work for too long.
- Just suitable for minor welds.
Things To Consider Before Buying The Welder For Car Frames
There are also some factors to consider before buying any good welder for car frames. We have listed 4 factors to choose what is suitable for you.
Type Of Welder
First of all, you need to choose the type of welder for your need and whether a TIG or a MIG welder is suitable. Which compressed gas to use; Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, or Argon mixture?
Does it offer a wide range of settings? You need to look at the product specifications and product dimensions (it should not take too much space).
You also need to consider the average welder rate to wire two metals. These figures will help you to decide which is the best one for you.
Type Of Welding
As far as welding machine specs are essential, you also need to check what type of welding you need. Is your automotive welding machine is capable of welding the joint or metal sheet that you want?
Larger vehicles or heavy-duty frame welding require more potent machines. Light level machines have some limitations in them. You need to check it too. Aren’t you demanding a welding job that needs a professional look?
Another factor to check is your welding machine should be energy saving. It should not consume much power supply. The output voltage is also vital to check.
Does the power source support the machine? A larger AMP welder is not recommended.
It is better to use a battery-powered welding machine, but if you want to use one that can give you optimum results. Those with a power supply are the answer, but they should not stress out your electricity bills.
Before buying the car frames welder, you also need to check which welding supplies are coming with it. Does it have welding clamps or a protective mask? How many/much wire filler does it has? Do you need to buy the excess filler?
These questions, when properly answered, make your welding processes smooth. Automotive welding machines should have these items with them.
Selecting a welding machine is not an easy job. It would help if you looked upon some factors and then decide on the best welder for car frames.
But no worries, as we have answered most of your questions and have listed the three best ones for you. You also have a guide to select any welder according to your needs.
So, Happy Welding!
- Try these 3 Best Work Light for Welding
- Best 110v Stick Welder That’ll Upgrade Your Welding Skill A Bit
- What To Look For Best AC/DC TIG Welder Under $1000?
- Best Fire Extinguisher for Welding – Our Recommendations
- Best Welder For Motorcycle Frame – Check Editor’s Pick!
- Military Support Welder: How to Get Started!
- Best Plastic Welders Review & Buying Guide
- Wire Feed Welders Reviews
- What Is The Best Welding Machine For Beginners?
Lotos Welder Reviews – The Unconventional Guide
Our expert welder checked and researched Lotos welders for 72 hours. Read our latest and unbiased Lotos welder reviews. Lets read...
Can You Weld a Magnet: Yes It’s Possible
In this article, we'll show you how to weld a magnet. We'll also explain which materials are best for welding magnets.