Soldering iron and soldering gun are two pieces of metal that are different from each other. But interestingly, these two metals are used in a similar task. And that is soldering.
As a soldering worker, you may face problems selecting soldering iron or gun for your project. You may ask which one is the best for you? Or what metal you have to use?
However, in this article, you are going to know about soldering iron vs gun. You will also learn the advantages and disadvantages of soldering iron and guns.
So let’s start our journey.
- What is flux for soldering?
- The A-Z Guide Of Soldering Fumes Health Effects (Updated)
- Quick Guide: Does Solder Conduct Electricity?
- 6 Common Reasons Soldering Not Sticking To Wire With PRO Tips
- Can You Solder Brass To Copper?
Soldering iron vs gun
Many people think that soldering iron and gun are the same thing. However, these two metals have different functions, characteristics, and usability.
Let’s explore something new on soldering iron and gun.
What is a soldering gun?
May you play with pistols in your childhood? Didn’t you? A soldering gun is similar to a pistol. It has a trigger to operate it efficiently. The primary function of this gun is joining metal surfaces.
This type of gun usually contains a handle to operate it by the user’s hands. This instrument is powered by electricity. And to function this gun, you have to use ti-based solder.
However, you can use this instrument for several purposes. Let’s know about the various functions of a soldering gun.
For what purpose is a soldering gun used?
You can use a soldering gun for a lot of projects. First of all, you can use it for joining the metals.
When you are willing to join two metals together for your project, you should choose a soldering gun for this task. Because it will help you to make a perfect and faultless joining.
Besides metal joining, this instrument is highly used for electrical appliances. As it has a step-down transformer, it can work much faster. For this reason, you may choose it for joining your electrical appliances.
According to some experts, this metal is highly preferable for microcircuits and small electrical parts.
Pros using of a soldering gun
Besides a lot of functionalities, a soldering gun has several advantages.
- This tool usually heats up very quickly.
- Besides, this tool is faster than any other tool.
- On the other hand, it is straightforward to use.
- The user usually gets several extra benefits from this gun.
According to the previous users of this gun, this instrument is truly flexible to use. Even in your limited working space, this metal will work smoothly.
It needs just a second to turn on. Moreover, this tool requires less electricity. So just think about how many benefits you will get from this tool.
Cons using of a soldering gun
Besides a lot of advantages, the soldering gun has a few disadvantages.
- You may feel uncomfortable using this tool because it is truly heavy metal.
- Again, sometimes you may get electrical shocks for your lack of seriousness.
Soldering gun price
The prices of the soldering guns are not high exactly. The price depends upon the watt and other criteria of the gun. You can get a 200-watt or 250-watt gun just for 30 to 50 USD.
Now, let’s have a look at soldering iron.
What is soldering iron?
Soldering iron is an instrument for joining two metal pieces. This tool has a handle that will help you to operate it perfectly. Besides, it has an insulated grip and a metal trip that is necessary for soldering work.
You can see this is an instrument that has a point like a pen. By this point, it generates heat for its workforce.
However, it has a lot of functions which we will describe below.
For what purpose is a soldering iron used?
A user can use this tool for several purposes.
Usually, it is used as a tool for joining electrical circuit boards. Most importantly, you have to use this instrument with those metals which require less heat.
As an operator, you should make a connection with soldering iron and electricity to start your soldering. Now, wait for a while and let it be heated. After heating, it is ready to solder and join your metals.
You can also use it for your automobile wiring, jewelry repairing, and for your home appliances projects.
Soldering iron price
The price of this tool can differ based on its watt and other criteria. You can purchase a 45-watt soldering iron just for 20 to 30 USD.
Pros using of soldering iron
There are a lot of benefits to using a soldering iron.
- This tool is smaller than any other soldering tool.
- So it is easy to handle and comfortable to use.
- On the other hand, it requires a low temperature for soldering.
- It can be economical in the case of using electricity,
- And it seems out of danger.
- This instrument has a continuous working flow.
- Once it is heated, it can do a lot of projects.
- So the user never faces interruption.
Cons using of soldering iron
Besides several advantages, the soldering iron has its disadvantages.
- This tool requires a long period to heat up.
- So the user may feel bored to do work with it.
- For the exact cause, it requires more energy.
- Moreover, as a user, you can’t use it for a heavy project.
- You have to use this tool only for small projects.
Which is better: soldering iron or gun?
Now, the most crucial question is, is a soldering gun better or iron? The answer is, it depends on your project. For example, you may have a project of a small electrical circuit. To accomplish this project, I recommend you choose a soldering iron.
On the other hand, if your project is about joining electrical appliances or your home appliances, I recommend using a soldering gun.
However, the ultimate solution to this query lies in user interest.
- Quick Guide: What Is Rosin Core Solder?
- Quick Guide: Soldering Paste Vs Flux
- Does Solder Go Bad? Here’s The Guide
Soldering iron is suitable for small PCB electronics, while a gun is suitable for big projects. You should keep in mind that a gun is usually over 100 watts. On the other hand, iron is typically 20 to 60 watts. So you should select one that is perfect for your project.
I hope you have a clear concept now on soldering iron vs gun. Now, It is your turn to do your project with the most suitable one.
Let’s start and never forget to maintain your safety. Good luck.